Register your Travel
Register for the UC's free Travel Insurance. Coverage includes medical care and evacuation, loss of personal property, extraction services, and more. Arrangements made through Connexxus are automatically enrolled, except for Southwest Air. For Southwest or reservations made outside Connexxus, you must register your trip.
Expenses and Restrictions
It is the responsibility of the traveler to understand which expenses can be reimbursed according to the University of California Business and Finance Bulletin G-28, Policy and Regulations Governing Travel and U.S. Government regulations, and to report his or her actual travel expenses in a timely and ethical manner.
Each campus Controller's Office provides oversight of which travel expenses are allowable on their campus.
Health and Safety Considerations
Use iJet’s travel planning tool, Worldcue Planner, before booking business or personal trips (domestic or international). This tool includes information on health issues, required immunizations, safety and security, culture, language, transportation, weather, and currency exchange rates. By registering your travel, you receive real-time alerts via text or email, as you travel. This free service is available to anyone with a UC email.
Connexxus is the UC travel portal with online booking tools that focuses on providing negotiated value, flexibility and convenience for UC business travelers in a single location. In addition to the travel savings, travelers who book via Connexxus benefit from the following:
- Automatically registered for travel accident insurance coverage in the event of a medical emergency, natural disaster or other perilous events.
- Saves time as a single source for air, car and hotel reservations.
- Added ticket protection such as allowances for name changes, management of unused, non-refundable tickets, and agent assistance with airlines when changes are necessary.
To use Connexxus log in to the secure portal to see booking options and agent contact information along with program tools and resources.
Please email email@example.com if you have questions about Connexxus or have difficulty logging in.
iJet Travel Intelligence
UC travel insurance registrants (students, resident, and staff) are automatically eligible, at no cost, for iJet services.
- iJet provides real-time travel alerts for health, transportation disruption, security/political uprising, weather, and natural disaster-related emergencies
- iJet knows where you are based on your itinerary when you register your travel
- Once you register, iJet Worldcue will send you a customized travel intelligence report via e-mail
- iJet experts monitor world conditions 24/7 and will alert you to threats that arise during your trip
Many UC faculty, staff, and students have already benefited from iJet during political uprisings, natural disasters, and pandemics.
In addition to iJet services, UC also has pre-trip planning services through Worldcue, which provides country-specific information and travel tips.
Remember: By registering your travel you receive both travel accident insurance and iJet intelligence alerts free of charge!
If you booked through Connexxus, then you do not need to use UC Away. However, if you booked your trip through another travel service, register your trip on UC Away. UC Away is a web portal that captures travel information, thereby enabling the University to procure better coverage to protect the health, safety and security of our faculty, students, and staff while traveling on University business.
High Risk Travel: UC Support Services
Phillip Van Saun, UCOP Risk Services Director of Risk, Security & Resilience, offers pre-travel security risk planning, in-country security risk assessments, and contingency planning for those traveling to high risk destinations. As soon as you know you will be travelling to a high risk area, contact Phillip Van Saun at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to arrange assistance.
US Department of State Smart Traveler Enrollment Program
The US Department of State Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free program that allows you to record information about your trip abroad so that the Department of State can assist you in case of an emergency. Once enrolled in this program, embassies are informed of your travel and they will send you important information about safety conditions in the country. Additionally, by providing your travel and contact information the embassy can contact you in case of an emergency.
Use the Worldcue Planner as a pre-trip planning aid. This tool includes current information on health issues, required immunizations, safety and security, culture, language, transportation, weather, and currency exchange rates specific to each country or regions within countries. It can be personalized to your travel itinerary, and sends real-time alerts, text or email as you travel. The free service is available to anyone with a UC email. The information is synthesized from multiple sources, including the Department of State, CDC, WHO, CIA, and international press.
- State Department Feed - Provides updated travel warnings
- State Department Travel Alerts - International travel alerts and warnings
- US Dept of State Learn About Your Destination - Find the location of the U.S. embassy or consulate in your country, unusual immigration practices, health conditions, political disturbances, unusual currency and entry regulations, and crime and security information
- Foreign Embassies in the US
- US Embassies Abroad
- Link to Global ATM Locators: Master Card and Visa
- CDC Traveler Health - A-Z list of countries with travel health information for your destination
- CDC and WHO Travel Notices and News
- CDC: Natural Disasters and Severe Weather - Find out if your destination is at a higher risk for certain natural disasters