Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Medical Insurance for Short Term Stays

The University has arranged for employees and students traveling on official university business to be covered for a wide variety of accidents and incidents while away from the campus or primary workplace.

  • What is covered:  Travel for UC business out of state and abroad
  • Who is covered: UC Employees, dependents, students, those designated by UC, on UC business
  • What is included: Emergency medical evacuation, security extraction,  travel assistance,  loss of personal property.

To find out more visit the UC Traveler Insurance Coverage page. Personal Travel Insurance is available with similar benefits.

Based on your activities abroad, make sure you understand your insurance policy. Check with your Risk Officer to ensure your activities are covered.

Existing medical insurance policies and benefits apply while working overseas. The carrier may require advance notification of your trip, especially if you need supplies before you go.  Contact Member Services for international travel requirements.

Longer Term Stays

Employees living/working overseas for longer than two months should enroll in either the UC Care or Core plan. Both plans allow reimbursement for medical costs incurred outside of the United States while other UC plans do not.  Please note that the CORE plan has a $3,000 deductible. More information about the different health plans. If the employee is not enrolled in either of these plans at the time of their move overseas, they will be given a period of initial eligibility (PIE) beginning on the effective date of the move.

Delta Dental and Vision Service Plan (VSP) are available worldwide and will provide benefits to employees and their enrolled family members living abroad. More information about the dental plan. More information about the vision plan. The Health Care Reimbursement account or flexible spending account (FSA) is also available to overseas employees.  

Last updated: 7 Dec 2016

Medical Insurance for Foreign Visitors

The Federal Government requires that visitors and their dependents have sufficient medical insurance coverage while in the U.S.

Minimum levels of health insurance coverage must provide:

  1. Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per illness or accident;
  2. Deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness;
  3. Expenses associated with medical evacuation in the amount of $50,000;
  4. Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000;
  5. Coverage for pre-existing conditions after a 6-month waiting period;
  6. Co-insurance/co-payment that does not exceed 25 percent of the covered benefits per accident or illness; and
  7. Policy underwritten by an insurance company that is A- rated or backed by the full faith and credit of the Exchange Visitor's government

Furthermore, “sponsors must inform all exchange visitors that they, and any accompanying spouse and dependent(s), also may be subject to the requirements of the Affordable Care Act.” 22 C.F.R. 62.14(a).

Generally, medical insurance for foreign visitors is available through each campus’ respective international scholars office.

UC Berkeley

Berkeley International Office
2299 Piedmont Avenue|
Berkeley, CA 94720-2321
(510) 642-2818

UC Davis

SISS - Global Affairs
University of California, Davis
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
(530) 752-0864

UC Irvine

UCI International Center
University of California, Irvine
G302 UCI Student Center
Irvine, CA 92697

UC Los Angeles

UCLA Dashew Center
University of California, Los Angeles
106 Bradley Hall
417 Charles E. Young Drive West
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1379

UC Merced

International Students & Scholars
University of California, Merced
5200 North Lake Road
Merced, CA 95343

UC Riverside

International Scholar Center
University of California, RiversideCampus
0381 Surge Building
900 University Avenue
Riverside, CA 92521

UC San Diego

International Faculty & Scholar Office (IFSO)
University of California, San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive M/C 0018
La Jolla, CA 92093


UC San Francisco

International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO)
University of California, San Francisco
William J. Rutter Center
1675 Owens Street, Room CC290
San Francisco, CA 94143

UC Santa Barbara

UCSB Office Of International Students & Scholars
University of California, Santa Barbara
Student Resource Building, Room 3130
Santa Barbara, CA 93106

UC Santa Cruz

International Education Office
University of California, Santa Cruz
1156 High Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95064

Last updated: 22 Aug 2017

UC Travel Insurance

UC Traveler Insurance covers travel for UC business out-of-state and to foreign countries. UC Traveler insurance covers all employees, their dependents, UC students, and other individuals designated as traveling on official UC business.

  • What is Covered? Travel for UC business away from the campus or primary workplace
  • Who is Covered? UC Employees, dependents, students, Individuals designated by UC for travel on UC business
  • Includes? Emergency medical evacuation, security extraction,  travel assistance,  loss of personal property
  • Extras? Personal Travel Insurance is available with similar benefits when you're not on UC business

For a full list of coverage benefits, see the Business Travel Benefits Summary.

Before Every Trip

  • Register your trip (Trips booked by a Connexxus agency will be automatically registered for insurance)
  • Print insurance card and carry with you
  • Forward copy of insurance card to appropriate administrator, if applicable

In Case of Emergency

In case of an emergency, call UHC Global Assistance:

  • 410-453-6330 (From outside the U.S.)
  • 800-527-0218 (From U.S. and Canada)


For questions regarding coverage call (510) 987-9832, Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00 or leave a voicemail. For technical support/issues, call (530) 638-3375 or send an email to

Last updated: 21 Aug 2017

Proof of Insurance

Some visa applications require proof of insurance, obtained from the Risk Management Office. To reissue your Travel Insurance card, login from the email with which you registered. Take your medical insurance card, you may need it at some borders which require proof of insurance.

If you have questions about insurance, contact your local Risk Management Office.

Last updated: 26 Sep 2016

Property Insurance

The UC’s property insurance program seeks to protect university assets through restoration of property loss/damage, risk analysis, control and prevention. This program provides coverage for direct physical loss and is extended to property owned or in the care, custody, and control of the Regents of the University.

Last updated: 5 Jul 2016

Clinician Liability Insurance

If you are practicing under the auspices of your employment, your liability insurance provided as part of your employment will cover you. If your job description does not cover your activities, you may not be covered. When you are in the United States, you have defined protections as a physician volunteer (part of HIPAA) but when you travel abroad the federal protections do not apply.

Each country has its own laws. If you plan to practice medicine as a volunteer abroad you are strongly advised to do so under the auspices of an international volunteer organization with a well defined presence in your host country.

For more information review the Professional Medical & Hospital Liability (PL) program offered with Office of Risk Services.

Foreign Liability

The Office of Risk Services has arranged foreign liability insurance for university operations outside the US. Review the Risk Services foreign liability insurance page for more information.

Last updated: 5 Jul 2016

Auto Insurance

The University's Automobile Self Insurance Program provides Automobile Liability coverage for University personnel in the course and scope of their employment and Automobile Physical Damage for vehicles owned, leased and operated by the University. Click here for more information about the Automobile Self Insurance Program.

While abroad, it is recommended that local insurance be purchased if renting, leasing or purchasing a vehicle in a foreign country.

Last updated: 26 Sep 2016
Last updated: 9 Jul 2016