Procurement, cash expenditures, and engaging employees and contractors are among the greatest financial risk areas for international projects. Useful resources:
- National Association of College and University Business Officers (NACUBO) International Research Center (IRC) is a resource for colleges and universities engaged in international activities. Resources include information and guides on multiple topics relevant to international program management including (but not limited to):
- Banking and sending cash abroad
- Engaging employees and contractors
- Renting, leasing and buying property
- It is important to check if the country, institution or individual we are working with are on the US OFAC list. Transactions or dealings include any service, payment, or agreement for a payment regardless of the amount. Violations of these sanctions may result in civil or criminal penalties. See the section on Export Controls for more information.
- U.S. Department of State: Foreign Per Diem Rates by Location
While some alternatives to cash payments are gaining in popularity in some resource constrained countries where UC is engaged, UC is yet to explore and consider the legal and policy implications of their use: